Have you heard about these hyper-realistic silicone dolls? You are probably wondering what they really are and what is their purpose.
Today, we are going to tell you about babies that are not (as) real: Silicone Babies or Reborn Dolls.
What are Silicone Babies?
Silicon babies are artificial dolls. They are meant to be as similar as possible to a real baby. They look so realistic it is very hard to notice they are actually made from silicone.
The process of creating a reborn doll is called “reborning” and the producers of the reborn dolls are “reborners”. At the beginning, there is a silicone mold that needs to be manually painted. There is a very special attention to details such as veins and shading and even mottled skin to make them look exactly like a newborn baby. A reborner then adds hair, eyebrows, and lashes. Some dolls even have open eyes.
What motivates people to buy these dolls?
That’s good question with many answers. Here they are:
- The reborn doll or silicone baby could be a replacement for the baby who died soon after birth.
- They could be the imitation of children who are not babies anymore.
- The dolls are the reimbursement for children for women who are infertile. These dolls help them feel as mothers.
- The dolls are the ‘babies’ for women who don’t want to have babies or for those who don’t want to care of them right now but they like them so much.
- The dolls can be great alternative for hard working parents for whom it is impossible to have a real baby now.
- Or simply it’s a hobby.
The majority of Silicone Baby owners like to take care of them as if they were a real baby. They give them a name, their own room and buy them clothes.
Get inspired: unique boy names and girl names
What’s the price of the doll?
The price of the dolls can get really high. Generally, there is one rule. The more realistic the dolls look, the more expensive they are. There are dolls that look exactly like children – they can even simulate newborn sounds, heat, and heartbeat.
The price of the dolls can start at a hundred dollars (the least realistic dolls) and can climb up to several thousand dollars (the most realistic ones). The most expensive dolls cost around 22,000 dollars.
Categorised in: You and Your Baby